Friday, December 19, 2014

How on Earth......





Only after a few days of two devastating acts of horrific murders, massacre and terror in Australia and Pakistan, another tragedy has just happened. A mother killed her seven children and her niece.
How on earth could a mother slaughter her children? What conditions would drive her insane? Poverty?Lack of economic, social and  emotional support? Insecurity? Despair? Stress? Pain? Heavy responsibilities? Fear? A complex feelings of betrayal, rage and revenge? I have always strove for an answer to such violent, dreadful acts! And I always return to “Medea” the play by Euripides. 


I have written two plays “Maryam’s Pregnancy” and "Medea Was Born in Fallujah”; persistent to find an answer, as this question is still pondering and lingering inside my head.

These pleading words by the mother would perhaps lead us to some certain answers:
“DON’T let them take them away from us. God bless us. Forgive me for what I’ll do.”
These were the pleading screams of a woman heard by neighbours at 9pm on Thursday.
At 11:20am the next day, a young man, a 20-year-old brother of the family, walked into a Cairns house to find eight children dead.”

The mother



My heart goes to the families of victims in Pakistan and Australia.

No comments: