Sunday, August 16, 2009

Rape in prisons

Rape in Iran and the U.S. Prisons:

Rape Claims Emerge from Iran Prisons
Iranian cleric Mahdi Karroubi, An opposition leader said Sunday that detained protesters are alleging male and female prisoners were savagely raped by their jailers to the point of physical and mental damage.

Nina Aghdam (Azar Ale Kanan) a former prisoner in Iran in Sanandaj prison in 1981 speaks out about her experience as a rape victim when she was 18 years old while having a nine months old daughter.
The interrogator said: “You walked in the streets with pride, confidence and self-assurance,” he continued “I’m going to break you down in a way that you wouldn’t be able to raise your head again! And you’ll live with shame and disgrace for the rest of your life!”
"I was blindfolded and my hands were tied up to the heater. He came closer and stuffed my mouth with his silky scarf which was always around his neck. Then started to unbutton my blouse....I had only my legs to defend myself...then...."
Watch the video…
Another interview with Katayoun Azarly by Reza Alamehzadeh.
Read also Roozneveshtehaaye Babak Dad on male rape in Iran. (In Persian)

Rape in the U.S.
Author T.J. Parsell talks about his time spent as a youth in a Michigan prison. He reads from his book Fish: A Memoir of a Boy in a Man's Prison. at UCLA Law School.

T.J.Parsell speaks out about shame and stigma of prisoner rape.

No comments: