Friday, September 20, 2013

Puzzled



Thomas Higginson is remembered as a correspondent and literary mentor to the poet Emily Dickinson.

When Higginson urged her to come to Boston in 1868 so that they could formally meet for the first time, she declined, writing: "Could it please your convenience to come so far as Amherst I should be very glad, but I do not cross my Father's ground to any House or town". It was not until he came to Amherst in 1870 that they met. Later he referred to her, in the most detailed and vivid physical account of her on record, as "a little plain woman with two smooth bands of reddish hair ... in a very plain & exquisitely clean white pique & a blue net worsted shawl."He also felt that he never was "with anyone who drained my nerve power so much. Without touching her, she drew from me. I am glad not to live near her."


I’m still puzzled! What Higginson really saw on Emily to feel completely drained by her presence?!
 


 

No comments: