Thursday, July 1, 2010

Sohrab Shahid Saless


Sohrab Shahid Saless, the prominent Iranian filmmaker died in July 1st 1998 in Chicago, in a studio at Catalpa street. It was a day after his birthday on June 28 where I had a bizarre dream. In my dream he signed a contract for his last film. His German producer reminded me of one of Jean Cocteau’s movies: Orphee perhaps! I was watching the innocent sparks of happiness in his eyes and gestures when he signed the contract. Then he kissed my lips! I knew he will be with his bride, but I'd never imagined his last movie would be the reality of his death!
He followed profoundly every expression on my face while I was having this dream. When I opened my eyes, his eyes were fixed on mine. Deep. Meaningful. surrendered.

Watch a scene of Saless' movie: Still Life
Watch a scene of my play "Roses for Sohrab" based on last moments of his death.
Another scene of "Roses for Sohrab"
This play was performed by Ario Mashayekhi and the playwright in 2005 in Chicago.

No comments: