Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sixto Rodriquez

Today, as I listened to Bob Edwards Weekend, I heard Sixto Rodriquez's voice, the American mysterious singer. Stunned by his profound sensibility, I listened to the entire interview. I could not hold my tears like Marcel Proust's Character in one of his novels, as he was listening to a classical music!

What makes  Rodriquez unique (in addition to his astonishing voice and lyrics) is his approach to art: the oneness of art and real life.

"Sixto Diaz Rodriguez (also known as Rodriguez or as Jesus Rodriguez; born July 10, 1942) is an American folk musician, born in Detroit, Michigan. He was named 'Sixto' (pronounced seex-tuh) because he was the sixth child in his family. Rodriguez's parents were middle-class immigrants from Mexico, who left in the 1920s. In most of his songs he takes a political stance on the cruelties facing the inner city poor."

Filmmaker Malik Bendjelloul captured his story and documented how the music of Rodriguez became the soundtrack for justice in South Africa throughout the country’s struggle with Apartheid.  Searching for Suger Man is now in limited release.
Read more on his official website

Listen to some of his songs!

Cause
I Think of You 
Rich Folks Hoax
Cold Fact
Crucify Your Mind 
Inner City Blues
I Wonder 
Sandrevan Lullaby
Climb Up My Music

No comments: