Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Be My Knife



I'm fascinated by "Be My Knife" a novel by David Grossman.

Here is an excerpt of it:
"...We could be like two people who inject themselves with truth serum and at long last have to tell it, the truth. I want to be able to say to myself, "I bled truth with her," yes that's what I want. Be a knife for me, and I, I swear, will be a knife for you: sharp but compassionate, your word, not mine. I didn't even remember that such a delicate, soft tone was allowed in the world, of a word with no skin (if you say it loud a few times, you can feel salty hard earth as water starts pushing through its veins). You're tired, I will force myself to say goodnight."



And the editor's word on it:
"....The writing is dense, demanding, and full of moments of great poetry and inventiveness, but it can become difficult and obscure. Stylistically Grossman is experimenting with plot and character in the grand modernist tradition, and Yair is reminiscent of the tormented "little men" in the works of Joyce and Beckett."

No comments: