Saturday, September 1, 2018

Fernando Pessoa

I first was introduced to Fernando Pessoa by Alain Tanner's film: "Requiem"in 1998.


 Mesmerized by Pessoa's character and the poetic content, I eagerly read his poems and prose, the three books which were available at the time. I translated some of his poems into Persian and wrote an article about him.Two months ago I traveled to Lisbon, Portugal, just to visit his house, the museum and feel him in the streets of Lisbon.



“Fifteen years after “In the White City,” vet Swiss director Alain Tanner returns to Portugal with an adaptation of Italo writer Antonio Tabucchi’s “Requiem.” The film, like the novel, is a salute to Portuguese scribe Fernando Pessoa, who appears as a mysterious character in this quiet, unhurried work that is dominated by literary concerns. Meticulously shot, heavy on atmosphere and 100% cerebral, pic is highly recommended for book lovers but offers little to rouse the enthusiasm of even art house regulars unless they are planning a trip to Lisbon.”

Read about the poet:




Discontinuous Poems
By Alberto Caeiro (Fernando Pessoa)
Translated by Edouard Roditi
The frightful reality of things
Is my everyday discovery.
Each thing is what it is.
How can I explain to anyone how much
I rejoice over this, and find it enough?

To be whole, it is enough to exist.



No comments: