Saturday, January 5, 2013

Today is January 4th, 2013

Image is from Feeleez



By Ezzat Goushegir

To: Charles. B

I’m not in Facebook
I do not tweet
I do not have an iPhone
No one knows what time of the day I would go to the bathroom
And when I would have diarrhea
No one knows when I drink a glass of red wine
Or make love to the one I love
No one knows what movie I saw last night
And when I take a shower in a Hotel room
Or take my cat or dog for a walk
No one knows whether I eat my dinner in a fancy restaurant or in the Subway
Or at home
No one knows when I fart

I come home after a long silent day at work
I check my mailbox
No letters or cards but lots of junk mail
I check my answering machine
No one has called or left me a message
I make a light dinner
Read the newspaper
Listen to the radio
Read the latest news in the internet
Watch something on TV
Read a passage of a novel or a poem
No one has sent me an email
But I got mass invitations from here and there
Begging me politely to be there for their event
Asking me for donations to assure them how important they are!

I look outside the window through the dark night
All holiday lights around the trees twinkle
“Twinkle, twinkle, little star
How I wonder what you are”

Twinkle on, twinkle off
Twinkle on, twinkle off

I take a shower
And brush my teeth
Then turn off the lights

In darkness
I stand before myself on the mirror
No reflections of me there
As I enter into the pure liquid of silence
I see a green light flashes rapidly 
A train fast runs towards me
With a loud sound and piercing fury

Am I broken into pieces?

Sheer silence
I hear my own voice repeating alphabets
A, B, C, D, E, F, G
H, I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P
Q, R, S, T, U, V,
W, X, Y and Z

They call me rebellious!!



1 comment:

Sparrow said...

Love this poem!-- Beautifully illustrates the profound isolation of humanity amidst the chatter of an increasingly narcissistic world.